Building and Zoning
The Village of Glen Carbon Building and Zoning Department enforces standards for the construction of buildings within the Village limits, ensuring the safety of the public. It does this by administering and enforcing the Illinois State Building Codes and The Building Code of the Village of Glen Carbon.
To meet these requirements, the Building and Zoning Department does the following:
- Reviews applications and plans for new construction, and the alteration of existing structures.
- Issues building permits.
- Performs inspections of new or substantially altered buildings to assure that construction has been completed according to the appropriate codes and laws, and when necessary, then grants approval.
- Investigates complaints, typically concerning illegal construction and housing maintenance standards.
- Suggests updates to the Village Code to reflect social and technological changes.
- Prepares public hearings for Planning and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Administers Housing Code and conducts all inspections of rental property.
- 2003 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2003 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2012 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2013 Village of Glen Carbon Rental Property
- 2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- Building Permit Applications
- Building Permit Fees
- Business Registration Application/Renewal
- Comprehensive Plan
- I-55 Corridor Plan
- Land Development Application
- Maintenance and Occupancy Code
- Zoning Map
The Department consists of the Building and Zoning Administrator, 2 Building Inspectors, a Code Enforcement Officer and a Building & Zoning Administrative Assistant. This Department is primarily responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Building Code which regulates the design, construction, and maintenance of buildings and their related equipment as necessary to safeguard the safety, health, and welfare of the occupants and the public.
Application for Building Permits may be obtained from the Village Office or through our Applications/Permits page, and completed forms should be returned to the Village Office with any required supporting documents. Submitting applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org is suggested. A fee will be charged for a permit based on a fee schedule approved by the Village Board of Trustees.
Secondary responsibilities of the Building Department are to administer and enforce the Zoning Code; and work closely with the Village Board of Trustees and Building and Development Committee.
The Zoning Code regulates the uses permitted on properties within various Zoning Districts; establishes required yard dimensions and heights of buildings; regulates the uses to which yards may be put; regulates off-street parking requirements, fences, walls exterior signage etc.
Inspections of work for which Building Permits are issued are performed by one of the Village Building Inspectors. As work is performed, periodic inspections will be made to see that work complies with approved plans and applicable codes. An inspection can be scheduled by emailing email@example.com. If the inspector visits and you do not know him, ask for identification.