Tax Information
The Village of Glen Carbon does not bill or collect taxes, however the Village does levy a property tax annually in December which is a portion of the property taxes assessed and collected by Madison County. Note that property taxes are billed one year in arrears (i.e. 2020 taxes are billed and paid in 2021).  

Sales tax and telecommunication tax are collected by local businesses and remitted to the state.

Tourism tax is collected by local hotels/motels and remitted directly to the Village.

If you have any questions about these or other taxes, contact the Finance Department at (618) 288-2607.

Current Tax Rates
  • Sales Tax - 7.10%
  • Sales Tax in Business District to include Route 157, Center Grove and Glen Carbon Town Districts
  • Telecommunication Tax - 6% Local, 7% State, Total 13%
  • Tourism Tax - 5% of the first 94% collected